The labels are from the specification for fire safety SFS-EN 15494. The labelling required for candle products is, by nature, either warnings or user instructions. Its purpose is to draw the consumer’s attention to the safe use of candle products.
How to burn candles safely
- Always use a candleholder or candle plate
- Do not place candles near a source of heat or in direct sunlight
- Do not place candles in a draught. This is to ensure that the candle burns evenly and does not smoke
- Always burn candles out of reach of children and pets
- Place candles in an upright position in order to avoid dripping
- Do not place candles too close to each other
- Light a crown candle from the root of the wick. If your light it from the tip of the wick, the wick will only start smoking.
- A cold candle lights poorly. Do not store grave lights in a car during the winter.
Tips for burning candles
- Trim the wick about 1 cm before lighting. If the wick is too long, the flame will get too big and the candle will start to smoke.
- If a candle does not fit into a candleholder, keep the end under hot water for a while. .
- To clean a candleholder from stearin, put it in the freezer. Stearin will harden and it will be easier to clean it.
- You can also snuff out the flame by dripping the wick into melted paraffin. This way, the candle won’t smoke and it will light easily the next time.
- If a lantern candle has a lid, close it only after letting the candle burn for a few minutes. This will make the candle burn better.
- Always snuff out the flame, do not blow it. In this way, the candle will smoke less and you will avoid stearin drips on the table.
General warning sign
Trim the wick about 1 cm before lighting
Always leave 5 cm between burning candles
Never leave a burning candle unattended
Do not burn candles near anything that can catch fire
Always snuff out the flame
Do not place candles in a draught
Do not move a burning candle
Always use a candleholder or candle plate
Keep the wax pool clear of matches and other debris to avoid flaring
Burn candle out of reach of children and pets